Saturday, February 6, 2010

Eva's Carrousel



Today a special look back to my very first trip to Paris in March of 2007. I went with my daughter Melissa and my Eva, who was 5 at the time. You've seen some photos of our trip together on previous posts here and here. Today I am sharing two special photos. These were taken at les Jardins des Tuileries on a cold and rather gray day. The gardens were almost deserted, which we've since realized, after our trip this past summer, was a delight we should have appreciated more! Eva rode the carrousel with just one other petite jeune fille. How many little girls have that delightful memory?

Not long ago I sent off a handful of photos that I thought my dear Shell Sherree in Brisbane might use for inspiration for her delightful watercolors. I was most flattered when she interpreted my photos here and here. Imagine my delight when I visited her blog for "Francophile Friday" ( that has moi written all over it!) and found our Eva waving from her "throne"! It made her Mommy and her Mumsie shed a tear or two. Merci beaucoup chère amie for bringing my photographs to life as only you can do!
xx
V


14 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

Ahh ~ those photos really are sublime, Virginia! I love the second one, too ~ though I had extra fun drawing the horsies shown in the first one, LOL. I'm so glad I made you and Melissa cry. ;) You know what I mean. My pleasure, dear V. You are inspirational.

PeterParis said...

Charming Eva! I fully appreciate how pleased you must have been to find your wonderful photos tranformed into a charming, very nice drawing!

Barb said...

Lovely....Barb

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» is on his way to Shell Sherree's to see the watercolors!

Jardin des Tuileries is so-named because this park, landscaped by the elder Le Nôtre, is on the site formerly occupied by tile-making kilns used to roof Paris. Tuile = tile.

Anonymous said...

You two are quite a team. Eva must feel pretty chuffed.

Corine said...

Thanks for the reccomendation. I will take all my kids to the Merry Go Round at les Jardins des Tuileries when I visit Paris :) Such beautiful photos and Shell's painting was so sweet! How wonderful! Have a fantastic weekend!

TheChieftess said...

Love the carousel...love your little Eva...and I loved Shell's drawing of both!!!

V...there's an umbrella with your name on it on... http://www.unique-vintage.com/casual-clothing-c-324.html ...a percentage of the proceeds goes to the Haitian relief efforts!!!

Virginia said...

Chieftess,
I am LOL. I ordered that very parapluie just the other night. Help me stop!!

Hiker,
I"m chuffed as well! :)

Peter,
Charming Eva , a very dear description of her! merci

Louis,
For a cow, you know a lot about Paree!

Shell,
Let's meet at the Equator! Heee

Starman said...

What a coincidence, I rode that very same manège my first time in Paris, also. But I rode one of the horses.

from cali said...

What a great way for Eva to remember a memorable trip. Photos and an illo! You and Shell make a great team.

TheChieftess said...

I'm not surprised you're way ahead of me V on that umbrella thing!!!

Petrea Burchard said...

It's great to see the photo that Shell used so well. Charming, all of you!

Now listen, V: That banner shot is perfection. PURR FECK SHUN. I love it like crazy.

Shell Sherree said...

The equator??? I don't think they sell macarons there, V, LOL!

Daryl said...

Lovely .. the colors make me smile .. so warm while clearly it was cold