Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Another Look



Last Wednesday I posted a photograph of *Au Vieux Paris d'Arcole near Notre Dame. One nice reader, Stephanie, supplied us with a link here. Yesterday Jackie, of Jacran Cottage blog, posted her own photograph of this 500 year old building as well. When asked where it was located I added that if you turned to your left, you would see Notre Dame looming a block away. So today, that very view along with a different shot of this most charming restaurant.

* Would one of my dear French readers translate pour moi? I tried Babelfish and it made no sense. Quelle surprise!!!

7 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

From the grand and imposing to the charming and welcoming ~ both beautiful, V!

Daryl said...

Oh la la .. I know cop out comment but its how these photos make me feel

Starman said...

Try the dictionary.com tanslator, it's a little better than Babelfish.

Harriet said...

I'm not French, but I would guess that Au Vieux Paris means "To the or In the old Paris". Perhaps d'Arcole relates to Pont d'Arcole.

Virginia said...

Harriet,
Merci. That explains it I think!

Starman,
I've switched to the new translator. Maybe now I won't make so many faux pas!
v

Polly said...

Virginia, I think Harriet has it! The "Arcole" stumped me, so here's a Wikipedia link that gives a bit of history of the Pont d'Arcole: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pont_d%27Arcole
It makes sense knowing the location
Loved the view which goes to prove that "sometimes the best shot is behind you"...
Thanks for another intriguing view of Paris!

Alexa said...

And this bridge was probably named for the battle Napoleon waged in Arcola, in Italy, against the Austrians in 1796. Beautiful post, Virginia.