Sunday, November 8, 2009

The American Cathedral in Paris


Flags of the States

This Sunday we visit the beautiful American Cathedral in Paris. It was consecrated in 1886 to coincide with the dedication of the Statue of Liberty in New York City. This Episcopal church welcomes English speakers from around the world. Their permanent parishioners number approximately 400. It increases with tourists, students and business people living in France for a short time. I had planned to attend a service here when I went back to Paris in July. An unplanned trek back to Charles de Gaulle Airport to retrieve my lost luggage prevented it. Fortunately, Peter and I were able to visit later that week. You might want to check his blog for additional photos and much more information as always!

6 comments:

Shell Sherree said...

Lovely, Virginia! The light is beautiful!! And I can feel the hush...

Starman said...

Great pictures, as usual. Another place to which I've never been.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» thanks you for the interior view. He walked by a number of times, but was never able to actually go inside. Something about hooves not being welcome, etc., ....

Auberge chez Richard said...

Merci Virginia,

From the other side of the pond the church looks beautiful - I was baptized there more than a few years ago...always brings family and friends to come inside.

Stacy @ The Next-to-Nothing House said...

I know this is an old post, but I had to comment! I just found your blog while searching for the American Cathedral in Paris and I just adore it. I am sorry you didn't make it to the Cathedral for a service. I am terribly proud to say that the music director was formerly my daughter's choir master in KY.

Auberge chez Richard said...

Wonderful site and always enjoy returning. Invite readers to see another view on this beautiful cathedral with a short story of mine at: http://aubergechezrichard.blogspot.com/2011/04/american-cathedral-on-avenue-george-v.html