Saturday, December 26, 2009

Paris' Grand Lady


I hope I never, ever tire at the sight of her. There she stands, so gracefully towering over all of Paris. From almost any place in the city, you can catch a glimpse of her. I'll admit I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. My friend Chieftess, who is a faithful visitor on both of my blogs, recently spent a few days in my beloved Paris. I stopped by her blog yesterday and took a little trip back via her photographs. Before she went, she kindly asked me to give them a few special places to see. *La tour Eiffel was of course on my list. Touristy you say? Of course, and well she should be. I will never forget the first time I stood at the base and looked up . My first thought, after I caught my breath, was that she was much bigger/taller/grander than I could have ever imagined. Yes, it's always crowded ( unless you choose a day when it's freezing cold and pouring rain ) but go. Go and take as many photos as your heart desires. I have enough to fill a book. What a novel idea...... a photo book of la tour Eiffel! :)

Now, it's time to share some very delicious news. I will be returning to Paris on January 7th with my Paris loving amie Mary from Cincinnati and her college roommate. We'll stay a week, and I hope to blog from there. I've told Peter ( you remember Peter, the most patient man in Paris. I do hope I'm not pushing my luck! ) my number one "must do" is a night shoot at the Eiffel Tower! I can hardly wait, but you knew that didn't you?

Today, another photo from a very special evening in Paris.....Bastille Day and the fabulous fireworks.

Snow fell on Paris recently. My friend, American photographer Meredith Mullins, captured it beautifully, as only she can do. Richard Nahem's Eye Prefer Paris blog featured some of her marvelous photographs. Perhaps la neige will visit again pour moi.


* Last summer I was pleased to meet author Jill Jonnes and hear her speak about her newest book Eiffel's Tower. You'll want to buy this one!


13 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I can't type the noise I just made. The letters for it don't exist. This is exquisite. I wish I could go with you.

TheChieftess said...

Fabulous photo V!!! What a wonderful opportunity for your friend to experience Paris with you!!! Have a wonderful time!!! We all look forward to your beautiful winter pics!!!

Shell Sherree said...

Breathtaking! I'm so happy you're going to be in Paris again soon, V.

StyleSpy said...

Hooray! So pleased for you that you get to visit, although my pleasure, it must be admitted, is stained a bit green. Nonethelss, it means even more ownderful photos to look at (my 2011 calendar!), so everybody wins.

Anonymous said...

Best picture of the tower I've ever seen. You're going? In less than 2 weeks? Oh boy.

DW Quilt Art said...

Ah...lovely! And how lucky that you are returning in winter, when the crowds are low. Last year on a very cold January evening we walked right up to the ticket booth - no lines! Looking forward to your new pictures!

Virginia said...

DW, That's the trade off. You sacrifice the warmer weather for no lines, no waiting! My photos from the first level of la tour were underwhelming at best. I don't know if I'll go up again or not.

Style,
I hope you enjoy the calendar. Thanks, we do appreciate your business! :)

My friend Mary can run circles around me in Paris. She also speaks better French! :)

Harriet said...

Beautiful capture of La Tour Eiffel!

I had the exact same feeling the first time I was there. Aren't we lucky to have so many wonderful Paris memories......

And now for the big count down until Jan. 7th....!!!

Louis la Vache said...

Tip for you, Virginia: stop saying "Bonjour, y'all!. The perception of your fluency in French will rise dramatically! Saver "Bonjour, y'all for the South of France....

Virginia said...

Louis,
So THAT"S why the French don't think I'm a Parisien??? Well why didn't somebody tell me sooner??

Harriet,
My foot issues are improving very slowly. I might see Paris at a slower pace this trip.

Chieftess, I loved your photos.

Petrea and Hiker,
What I wouldn't give to "do" Paris with you two. Oh we'd be a force to be dealt with wouldn't we?

Shsh,
I'll have you in mind everytime that camera clicks!

Daryl said...

Oh I am green with envy .. what a wonderful start to the new year, decade ... and this photo is just picture perfect

Petrea Burchard said...

We would be, Virginia. And I'd be fluent in French within about a day and a half.

Maya said...

Wow, what a wonderful shot! It's like a magnificent painting.

My parents were in Paris for that snow storm. They were amazed at how everything stopped (they are from snow country)! Hah.