Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Let Me In There!


Arrrggghhh! Last July Peter and I pressed our faces through the elegant ironwork at the Musée de la Mode et du Costume-Palais Galiera, and took these photos, but that's as far as we got. Closed, fermé!! Located across the street from the Palais Tokyo, and other museums that overlook the Eiffel Tower, it's very convenient for you museum lovers.

Opened in 1888 to house the drawings of Paris by the Duchess of Galiera, Marie Brinol-Sale, this museum now houses over 100,000 exhibits representing French fashion from the 18th century to the present. Because of the fragile nature of the costumes, the exhibits change frequently, therefore there is no permanent collection , and the museum is not open on a regular basis. My next trip, I'll be knocking on the gate again you can be sure. A MUST SEE!

14 comments:

Petrea Burchard said...

I could move to Paris tonight and live there a hundred years, see new things every day and never see it all. And it's not that big!

Shell Sherree said...

Ditto, Petrea!! And I'd love to see those drawings.

Damien Franco said...

I love the pink juxtaposed against the muted tones of building and fence.

Love it!

StyleSpy said...

I'm just going to unroll a sleeping bag in the bathroom & live there. Think they'd mind?

Harriet said...

Thanks for telling us about this museum. My list of places to visit in Paris this spring is getting longer and longer. And I've been there a number of times already! Petrea has it right --- we'll never be albe to see it all.

Harriet said...

Of course "albe" was meant to be able.

Virginia said...

Petrea you are so right. Now add to that all the fabulous exhibits and special events and you really will never see it all. I"m amazed that more people haven't been here. I hope to this next trip. My kind of place!

Damien,
I like that pink too!

Harriet,
Your list is a mile long by now.

Style,
We need to get a big group and convene in Paris and have a ball!

Shell,
I would like to see her drawings as well.

Starman said...

It was closed when we were there also. But just behind it, on Ave Pierre 1ere de Serbie, is a very nice restaurant named Café Galieria.

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» told 'em to keep you locked out cuz you'd ransack the place looking FOR THESE....

Katie said...

Ah, la mode. I tried to go to this museum in 2008 and it was also closed. I'm beginning to wonder if this place is ever open! Good luck in January and if it's open, take lots of photos!!

MadAboutParis said...

If it's not open in Jan let's stage a "sit-in." Can't you just see us chaining ourselves to those gates chanting: Laissez-nous dedans!

Virginia said...

Mary,
An American strike in Paris might just thrill them to death!!! If it's not open I'm climbing over the fence....well probably not.... but we can raise a good French protest at the very least!

Merci everyone for your comments. I promise if it's open I'm all about photographing everything. Don't those three photos on the front make you just swoon? Moi aussi!!
V

PeterParis said...

Yes, we must make a new try; I have still not been inside!

Virginia said...

Peter,
I don't think I can climb over that fence but we'll send you over!! :)