Sunday, March 28, 2010

Pont de Mirabeau



Today a few photos that make me smile. 14 Juillet, I spent on the Pont de Grenelle, but we passed the Pont de Mirabeau on our way there. Peter and I staked our claim on this bridge in great anticipation of the fabulous fireworks to come at the Eiffel Tower in celebration of Bastille Day! We waited for quite a while in order to keep our front row seats. It was well worth the wait as you've seen here and here.

Well today, our friend Louis is hosting the first in his new Serie du Pont de Dimanche. I don't have many left, but I did have this one that I've not shared. I thought I'd also post the Statue of Liberty, found on the Pont de Grenelle. She is 3 years younger than "our" Lady Liberty. The plaque that commemorates these events reads: IV Juillet 1776 and XIV Julliet 1789 ( the storming of the Bastille). I think Peter picked the perfect spot for us to celebrate Bastille Day!

UPDATE: Merci to my Paris expert Peter, who kindly emailed and helped me get this all straight. The bridge above is the Pont de Mirabeau. The bottom photo is the Pont de Grenelle where we watched the fireworks! I guess this should count as two bridge posts in one! Sorry for the confusion but you should be use to it by now! :)

15 comments:

Louis la Vache said...

Excellent choice, Virginia!
«Louis» is delighted you are participating in his new Série du pont de dimanche!

Chiara said...

I love Paris, I really want to go back ... thanks for the beautiful photos Virginia!

Yvi said...

Great photos!

chasity said...

how nice to visit Paris through your lens!
beautiful photos~~

Neva said...

When I was in Paris, I remember the bridges and thought how amazing they have lasted so long and tolerated cars as well. It occurred to me that maybe they have had to be reinforced but what do I know? Lovely shot.

Halcyon said...

Beautiful angle on this bridge. You'll have plenty of photos to post for this meme as Paris is chock full of beautiful bridge.

B SQUARED said...

Leave it to you to find the most beautiful bridge of the day. The prize is in the mail.

Starman said...

Ya know, in all the times I've been to Paris, I've never yet made it to see this statue. Quel dommage!

Vagabonde said...

The Statue of Liberty - une grande dame. I wrote a post on her last 4th July and included this: “.. a poll was taken in 1986 during the 100 year restoration of the statue and it was learned that only 2% of the American public knew that it had been a gift from the French people.” Sad, but true.

Owen said...

I know it's a detail, but on all the maps and references to it I could find, it's just the Pont Mirabeau, sans "de", including in Appollinaire's lovely poem Le Pont Mirabeau... unless of course it's been promoted to nobility since...

Although indeed several other Paris bridges do have a "de", such as the Pont de Grenelle, but others don't, like le Pont Royal or le Pont Neuf... I wonder what determines whether a bridge gets a "paricule" or not... ?

Virginia said...

Owen,
I don't know de or duh! HA

Petrea Burchard said...

Wonderful as always, Virginia. Good for my heart and soul.

Chuck Pefley said...

Ooh! A double entry for the bridge series! Both very nice, though I favor your banner image with the small girl looking at the Seine.

TheChieftess said...

Or, Vagabonde, maybe they forgot!! I do remember learning that at some time, but probably would have answered a poll with a "don't know"...at least that was before this post...however, at this point in my life, I could very easily forget again in, oh...maybe 5 minutes!!!

It is a lovely shot V!!!

PeterParis said...

Owen is right about the "de". I remember when I made a series about all the Paris Seine bridges that this was a confusing problem; maybe not that important? Maybe some member of the French Academy can give a clear explanation?