Friday, September 11, 2009

Well La Tee Dah!


Le Bon Marché is one of Paris' most upscale department stores. Oh it is ever so lovely and chic and PRICEY! According to Peter's Paris blog, bon marché means "a good price or good value". That's hard to believe, but I will say it's not to be missed. Did I buy anything you ask? Well after a lovely lunch, I found my way to the book department and bought two great photography books on Atget and Brassai! And they were a terrific value! While you're there, be sure and visit the food store across the street. It has an amazing selection of everything. Oh, and Peter warned me that they didn't appreciate photographing the interior of the store. Well if you check his blog post and mine, you'll see that neither of us paid a bit of attention to that! ( I'll admit taking mine on the sly)

14 comments:

Laurent said...

You're right; "La Grande Epicerie" is a must see though maybe too expensive for daily shopping ...

Parisbreakfasts said...

My shot of these stairs was a disastre! Too nervous to get such a big shot. Peter is the best isn't he!
Merci for stopping by..
Carolg

Virginia said...

Merci Laurent, I couldn't remember the name of that! It's all pricey from top to bottom, but fun to wander around and look at.

PB,
Merci!

Thérèse said...

What a sly shot!
And concerning the "Bon Marché" smaller neighborhoods "Bon Marchés" have a more affordable selection.

Daryl said...

Fantastic perspective ... guerrilla photography at its finest!

Harriet said...

Is there a little cafe inside Bon Marche?

This is a GREAT shot. Makes me want to be there....

Starman said...

I keep meaning to check out Le Bon Marché. but never remember. It's the only grand magasin to which I've never been.

Virginia said...

Harriet,
Oui! A nice café for lunch. On the top floor as I recall.

Starman,
How did you miss this????

Daryl,
Guerrilla photography, c'est moi!

Virginia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hi We went to La Grande Epicerie a few weeks ago when I went to Paris...yes we got told we couldn't take photos, but that was after I had taken lots of photos.. we got spotted near the cakes, but by then we were leaving!!

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Oh we had our lunch outside, they have set up a food stall outside, it was really good!

Virginia said...

Anne,
Nice to know! Merci
V

seanjonesfoto said...

beautiful composition and light... well done! :)

Maya said...

Wow, that is a great shot. Well worth the undercover snapping! We used to have a Bon Marche in Seattle, but it got bought out by Macy's. Too bad.