Sunday, September 13, 2009

Église Saint Sevarin



Église Saint Severin in the 5th arrondisement is located around the corner from Blvd. St. Germain. Built in the 6th century, this lesser known church is a must. Of special note must be the set of seven stained glass windows in the ambulatory. Designed in 1966 by artist Jean Bazaine, they were inspired by the sacraments of the Catholic church. These especially vibrant windows are a beautiful compliment to the ancient church interior. The distinctive twisted palm columns are unusual as well. Saint Severin is now used mainly for classical and sacred music concerts. My thanks to my friend Mary Gilbert for making sure I didn't miss this special place.


9 comments:

La Mom-an American Mom in Paris said...

J'adore St. Severin! I used to live close by and always enjoyed walking around it. Its columns are amazing!

La Mom
An American Mom in Paris

Karen said...

I was there in December but this trip will be living nearby and hope to catch a concert or two. I saw so many churches that they all ran together so this trip I want to savor each one.

Only 17 more days!

Daryl said...

Beautiful

Virginia said...

La Mom,
Thanks for paying my blog a visit. I am totally hooked on your hilarious blog. I never miss a post now.
V

Karen,
Oh I commented on Laurent's blog that I was putting the church on his post on my NEW LIST, then looked at the previous photo and realized I'd been right there! They do all run together but too gorgeous and inspriring to miss even one!

Starman said...

Beautiful shots of the windows.

Blind Fly Theater said...

Those columns are magnificent!

Thérèse said...

One of my favorite churches for the music coming out of its organ.
So many memories. Thks for the beautiful pictures.

MadAboutParis said...

Thanks for the mention mon amie - you covered lots of territory between Peter & moi!
xx,
M

Virginia said...

Mary,
Yes, I did and what fun I had with you and Peter. How did I ever get so lucky??? We need an encore , oui??
xx
V