Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Le Spectateur


I am charmed by the fact that most of the men that come to Luxembourg Gardens to watch the pétanque players, take the time to dress for the occasion.  Another reason I love Paris.


Art Folk Gallery at Young & Vann
1731 1st Avenue North
Birmingham, AL 35203


From Snapshots to Photographs 
Virginia Jones 

Join us for 5 lively sessions that have been designed for anyone who is eager to learn how to take better photographs.


You'll learn the basics of:
composition
,using available light
, photographing friends & family, the secrets of terrific vacation photographs, and basic editing on the computer. All that is required is working knowledge of your digital camera! 

5 Classes for *$140

Tuesdays from August 30th - September 27th


Space is limited, so registration is strongly encouraged!  Call 205-716-1665 or email to director@artfolkgallery.org to reserve your spot today.


20 comments:

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

As if time stood still ...

Shell Sherree said...

Seems very French to dress for watching petanque. I like it. A beautifully atmospheric scene, dear V.

Roseann said...

Classes where? Birmingham?

Harriet said...

What a dapper gentleman in the foreground. Perhaps those across the way need the fashion police...

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a pleasant way to spend the afternoon Virginia, I think I might enjoy that myself!!

La Petite Gallery said...

I love your photo's and the subjects. yvonne

Daryl said...

Looks as if the couple across the way are tourists .. I can tell by the clothes and their body language

Virginia said...

Roseann, yes here in Birmingham.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

And while I was there, I was impressed with the shop keepers who if they were women, wore chic black dresses and a little white apron (tablier) to sweet the STREET in front of their shop! And I saw une femme d'un certain âge walking with a cane, a black suit, her hair piled high, pearl earrings and collier and yep, you guessed it....HEELS. OH YEAH!!! Anita

Janey and Co. said...

Oh V...I would dearly LOVE to sign up for your class....Just can't get there at this time..Is there one in the Spring?..Janey

Virginia said...

Janey, I"m thinking about doing a weekend crash course so maybe anyone out of town could do it. I'll keep you updated!
V

Starman said...

I think the gentleman's age ahas more to do with how he is dressed than anything else.

Alexa said...

Moi aussi, V! French gentlemen (especially those of a certain age) always seem so put together. And I love his haircut. He's really showing up those folks across the way—who have apparently forgotten the importance of good posture. :~}
(Hey my WV is joyrues)

Virginia said...

Starman,
You could be right about the age but I certainly think it's a French thing. I can't imagine ever seeing a gentleman of any age here in the US dressed like this for an afternoon at a park. These day's church/funerals/weddings is about it.

Fábio Martins said...

Time to relax and talking with friends :)

Chesterbrook Academy Elementary said...

What a beautiful photo demonstrating that the best things in life are very simple.

Thanks for sharing

Karen Xavier said...

Yeah, he does look dapper... nice picture.

Julie said...

I am struggling here to place that slope in the background. Is there more than just the one petanque rink in JdL?

Virginia said...

Julie, it does appear to be a slope but I don't recall that. There is just the one area for petanque there I think.

TheChieftess said...

It just wouldn't do to not dress accordingly in the fashion capital of the world!!!