Friday, October 22, 2010

Les Manifestants Heureux


I thought today might be the just the perfect time to show some Frenchmen HAPPILY marching!  (Trust me,  I do not presume to wade into the current political storm!)  This is but one of many delightful murals adorning the walls of one of Paris' deepest Métro stops, Abbesses, Line 12.  I couldn't find how many steps it takes but trust me, it's a quite a few!  Perhaps these murals are an effort to distract you as you huff and puff your way to the top.  Oh, let me add there's a perfectly MARVELOUS elevator that will zip you to ground level in no time flat.  If it's your first time here, try and make the climb, the murals are not to be missed.  There is also a march up to the beautiful Sacre Coeur, and then, if you're really feeling energetic, a climb to the dome,  where you will see the most spectacular view of Paris you can imagine!

15 comments:

Rob said...

I remember those steps well only to discover an elevator when we made it to the top.

黄清华 Wong Ching Wah said...

Wonderful framing of the subject !

Shell Sherree said...

I'd march up those stairs to the beat of their drum and very much enjoy the view all the while.

Starman said...

The city claims that three quarters of the métro stations have escalators. From experience, I can tell that's not true.

M said...

Love the young drummers but who is the guy in the sun glasses with the champagne glass? And, yes, V there is an elevator -- it would have been wonderful to take it -- had it been working!

Virginia said...

M,
I'm thinking Johnny Hallyday! :)

Starman,
I'm with you on that one.

Wong,
Thank you

Shell,
I marched up but not briskly. :)

Rob,
Lordy, I missed it the first few times myself.

Daryl said...

And I've been whining about the broken escalator at the Times Square exit ... I thought those steps I climb every morning were steep ...

Maya said...

Hey, is the the time we all walked up those stairs? :-)

Alexa said...

Sometimes it's definitely worth the effort expended—looks like this was one of those times! I think the fellow with the Champagne is Johnny too. And I should know, right? :~}

Jean Spitzer said...

This is so inspiring for a gloomy day like today.

Paris Paul said...

Actually, the current marchers are happy as well. many of them are high schoolers who don't have to go to school that day! Now, if we could just get them little drums and cute uniforms...

cocoa and coconut said...

I love it Virginia!! I've never seen one of the métro murals!! What spectacular colours.

Une bonne image.

Virginia said...

Daryl,
I know you're fit enough to zip right up!

Maya,
Oui!

Paul,
That' is hilarious. I"m surprised someone hasn't thought of that.

Les Rêves
Oh you must see this Metro stop. It's the best.

Jean,
Always happy to brighten your day!

TheChieftess said...

these steps are probably the primary reason there is less obesity in Paris, even with all that rich food!!!

bevgrey said...

We were there last month. The sign just to the right says there are 90 (or maybe 99) steps. It felt like twice that many. Having done it once, I need never do it again.