Monday, July 13, 2009

Joyeuse Fete Nationale !

Musee Rodin
Tuesday is Fete Nationale ( Bastille Day) here in France. If the fireworks that the neighborhood kids are setting off this evening are any indication, tomorrow promises to be a firecracking, flag waving good time. I haven't noticed the aroma of charcoal grills being fired up, so I must assume that the French choose not to celebrate with WELL cooked barbequed pork. (The very idea!) I think it will be fun to see the festivities so I hope to have some photos to share. I don't think I"ll be in the thick of the huge crowds, so don't hold your breath for a photo of President Sarkozy as my latest "100 French Strangers". Stay tuned though.Posted by Picasa

Pictured below is the Hotel de Ville ( Paris City Hall). Our mayor at home would give up his pipe dream of a domed stadium if he could "rule" from a place like this!
Hotel de Ville

9 comments:

Karen said...

Have a wonderful Bastille Day! And if you do see Sarkozy, give him a wave for me. You are posting such wonderful photos.. I'm shopping for a better camera for my next trip.

PeterParis said...

You will miss it!! Actually it's on Tuesday, actually today! (Still time, because it's early.) :-)

Louis la Vache said...

«Louis» is celebrating Bastille Day at his café with live French music.

Harriet said...

Wouldn't every mayor love to rule from a "Hotel de Ville" like the one in Paris....

Virginia said...

Karen, Thanks and glad you are enjoying them!

Peter,
Arrgghhh, I've lost track of what day it is! I've corrected my text. Merci.

Harriet, Our mayor "thinks" he's a king so this would suit him just fine.

Louis,
I'll bet your cafe is the place to be today!

Maya said...

We had fireworks here last night as well since we are living in France while we work in Geneva. I took a few photos, though I suspect they won't be very good without the tripod!

Starman said...

Did you know that France is broadcasting the festivities live on the internet?

Bob Crowe said...

I'd love to be in France tonight but, uh, I'm in St. Louis. At least President O is around here somewhere.

Virginia said...

Bob, we missed you!

Starman, Hope you watched. It was fabulous. Pics to prove it above.

Maya,
You all should have run down here for these.