Friday, June 5, 2009

The Musée Rodin


We were thrilled that Eva remembered this lovely piece from her first visit to Paris in 2007!

The Musée Rodin is probably one of my favorite museums in Paris. Today was my third visit, and I enjoyed it just as much as I have previously. The weather was perfect, and we had a little excitement to start our visit. We were able to observe our first "Parisian protest"!! ( It's amazing that it took 3 visits to find one!) We have no idea what they were all hot and bothered about, but they were orderly, LOUD, and tied up a number of tour buses for a while. The police showed up in force and it appeared ( to us anyway) that was it was very well organized and managed. They moved down the street in a while so the traffic could move again and did their thing right outside of the museum entrance. We waded through it all and were relieved to get inside! When we left several hours later, everyone had magically vanished. Maybe some of my Parisian experts can tell us what happened.

I 've posted a lot of photos previously here and here about this small but elegant museum. This time we were able to have a nice lunch at the cafe adjoining the museum. We also learned that there are sandboxes etc for children!

UPDATE: I hear from a well connected viewer that President Obama is in town! Maybe we'll get together while he's here!

UPDATE II: Peter, our resident Paris expert, tells me the protest had something to do with the farmers and milk prices. Case closed.


Another Table/Chair and Shadow Series all rolled into one.



Number 9-10 - 100 French Strangers Challenge
(How cute are they!!!)


Yakety Yak, Don't Talk Back!


The Paris PD had it all under control!!!!

24 comments:

Rip said...

I do remember that at the Eiffel Tower, it was interesting to see how all of the police men had practically machine guns!

Harriet said...

Thanks for the tip about the adjoining café. I've been to the Musée Rodin once, but it was raining so we didn't properly explore the grounds.

I love seeing Paris through YOUR lens!

Jill said...

Thanks for all the photos V. and commentary. Love reading and looking at it all. Love the strangers. The one of Eva is indeed a very special. I sure am enjoying your visit. Any POTUS sightings? And where are you off to after Paris?

Bob Crowe said...

Quite the photo essay! This museum is a delight. The statues outside in the garden,m particularly the Gates of Hell and Burghers of Calais, blow me away. The picture of your granddaughter studying the bust is charming.

Maya said...

I hear they have many protests there, so they are probably well versed in keeping them civil!

It's great that the kids are enjoying the museums as well.

Anne said...

More wonderful photos! Thanks for sharing.

Judy - So California said...

V, I can't believe the wonderful photos and writings you give us every day! Thank you for taking us along on this special trip. Once in Paris we went to the Embassy commissary for a Coke - that was fun. It was also a long time ago - probably can't do that any more. The Marines were cute too!

Laurie Allee said...

These are just like being there, V. MOre! More!

Babzy.B said...

This museum is one of my favourite too ! i like the garden very much ;)

Daryl said...

This is such a treat .. love you 100 French Stranger challenge which I have adapted and will post my first later today (Saturday) with a link back here ...

Country Girl said...

Hi. Came here via Daryl from NYC. I love the photos you've posted from Paris!
My son had an opportunity to come live there for 18 mos. and work for peanuts at an up-and-coming architecture firm in the city. I couldn't wait to come visit him. And then he was offered a job in NYC and took that. I love your Hemingway quote at the top of your sidebar and that's what made me think of my son.

Anonymous said...

Virg, have someone take a shot of you so we can see Ginger in Paris.

Virginia said...

AH,
Only one shot with the family and it's marginal. I"m happier behind the camera. Maybe we'll get one to prove I"m actually here and not sittin' in B'ham making this whole thing up!HA

Starman said...

I've only been to the Rodin once and it was closed.

Most manifs, though a royal pain if they disrupt your abilitiy to get around, are orderly

Lowell said...

Hi Virginia!

We went to Paris to celebrate our 50th in June of 2007! We left part of our hearts, too, but haven't been able to get back yet.

Your pictures fill me with nostalgia that is almost overwhelming...it's too rich a feast - well, not really, because I will feed on your photos for a long time!

Coincidentally, I started a Paris blog using the photos from our 2007 trip; probably more to allow me to relive the trip than anything...

It's at http://pareeandme.blogspot.com.

What it might mean is when the photos run out I'll have to go back and get some more...right?

Thanks much; especially for sharing the Paris you experienced!

Virginia said...

Jacob, I can't send you a comment on your Paree blog. That ID thing. I loved your photos. Maybe you can tell me how to crack the code.

Starman,
Musée Rodin is just a lovely museum. You must go again.

Lowell said...

Hi Virginia...I'm not sure what you mean by "That ID thing." Anyone can leave a comment...even anonymously...or by name...or by Google account...

Can you describe the problem in further detail...I'll sure fix it!!!

Thanks re: my photos! Well, some are Lois Anne's!

Petrea Burchard said...

I know how Jacob feels. We were there in '06 and I still miss it every day. Seeing your pics inside the Rodin museum reminded me of standing in that spot, looking out that window...

Jane Hards Photography said...

Bursting again. So many to choose one no - Sophie's choice. I miss culture here so badly. This truly is like a daily drug.

Rob said...

We missed inside the Rodin, it was after hours and a wedding if I remember correctly.

PeterParis said...

The photo of Eva is just too nice!

marley said...

I'm loving seeing your trip to Paris. The chair in the shadow and light is gorgeous.

Jilly said...

Wonderful memories. Did you have any difficulty in photographing inside the museum?

You are seeing so much on this trip, Virginia and giving us such treats in your photography.

Kim said...

I love the MR so much. I knew exactly where you were with your photo of the chair without reading. Were there any kitty cats at the garden cafe? I think the MR is one of the most romantic places in Paris, a great date place in my book. Someday I'm going to get a shot of that staircase from above in perfect light. The photo of Eva and the bust is wonderful. The riot squad's boots look scary!
-Kim