Monday, July 19, 2010

Dimanche Sur Rue Mouffetard I - Madame



Today we begin a little series here at PTML. I have been holding onto a fistful of photographs that I took on my last trip in June. Sunday on rue Mouffetard is one of the best things you can enjoy while in Paris. Melissa, the children, and I stumbled on it last summer on our way to the Jardin des Plantes. The locals gather rain or shine and there's music and singing of French chansons and then the dancers. Oh my. You've seen some of my photos here and here and here.

Well this last trip I organized a gathering of friends to share the experience with me. Mary, Genie, Marie, Maya and Janet met me there, and we were joined by our dear Parisian amie, Anne. I think they all enjoyed it as much as I did. I have so many to share that I thought I'd do a little mini-series for a few days.

Today a lady that I photographed last year. I found her very exotic looking and was thrilled to see her again this visit.


16 comments:

Julie said...

Ooo lovely. I am staying just off Rue Moufftard in September.

Shell Sherree said...

Joie de vivre in person! Beautiful.

Dianne said...

Yes I agree Virginia rue moufftard is a fabulous street I had my first real french creme brulee here.but alas it wasn't on a Sunday - so no dancing! the lady in your pic is really enjoying herself.
Dianne xx

Jilly said...

Sublime shot, Virginia. Am really going to enjoy this series - as if I don't enjoy all your photos!

Harriet said...

That top photo is a real winner. What a great portrait of that lady. Too bad she doesn't know how beautifully you've captured her; she should have that one framed.

Genie -- Paris and Beyond said...

Fabulous portrait, and if you don't think there is movement just check out the "swing" to her earring!

So real I can almost hear the music.

Alexa said...

Madame seems to dance with such abandon! Wonderfully captured, V—I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

Starman said...

Interesting that you managed to find the same person again.

Virginia said...

Starman,
I found many of hte same dancers!!

Alex,
indeed she does.

Genie,
I hadn't noticed the earring. you're right!

Harriet,
Chalk one up for "mature women". I think she looks fabulous.

Jilly,
Thank you. You are the queen of street portraits.

Shell,
I must agree.

puddinglane,
One of my favorite places in Paris.

Julie,
I'm sure you'll capture the dancers far better than I. I can't wait to see yours.

Polly said...

Thanks, Virginia, for a positive view of an OFG ("older French girl" as dubbed by Carol at Paris Breakfasts http://parisbreakfasts.blogspot.com/ ) !!!! Those of us d'un certain âge really appreciate these images...

Anonymous said...

She is captivating, the photo mesmerizing. I could study this picture for a long time and see her whole life unfold before my eyes.

Liz (aka Ninny, another retired elementary teacher)

Virginia said...

I agree, older women in France and everywhere around our world should be celebrated. I"m proud to be one of them! Your comments have been most appreciated.

Petrea Burchard said...

She's got soul to her. It shows on her skin and in her eyes.

Julie, I'm excited for you!

TheChieftess said...

She's got a bit of Sophia Loren mixed with Rita Moreno...both beautiful older women!!! Lovely shots!!!

Half-heard in the Stillness said...

I love the first photo! How wonderful to be so free and SO chic. Oh...I wish...! ;)

Anonymous said...

My dream is to dance in Paris!

When I get there, I will know where to go.

thank you