Monday, April 14, 2014

Channeling Vivian Maier


I"ve been a fan of Vivian Maier for quite a while. This last trip to Paris in November, Peter, Genie and I saw a small exhibit of her work.  She was unnoticed until after her death when a container of her prints, negatives and undeveloped film were bought at an auction. Now she is finally being given credit for her amazing street photography.  Today, a salute to Vivian from the Palais Royal!

If you are not acquainted with her work and her story, you must read more here.

10 comments:

Kate said...

She has gotten a lot of deserved press lately, and I was fortunate, too, in seeing a small exhibit of her work. Pretty outstanding!

Lynette said...

Wonderful post, Virginia. The documentary on VivIan shows in Portland soon. I'm going to fit it in, for sure, around the NBA playoffs.

William Kendall said...

I haven't heard of her myself, as far as I know.

Stuart said...

I am also a big fan of hers. I was lucky to see an exhibit of hers in nearby Tours. Anyway, your shot here would make her proud.

RedPat said...

I had read about her recently but thanks for the link - astounding story, isn't it?

Alexa said...

I'm a fan too, V. Makes me sick to think that her work could so easily have wound up in a dumpster somewhere, never to be seen.

PeterParis said...

I'm happy we made it to her exhibit! I recommended the little gallery to some friends and they were all impressed!

Jack said...

Brilliant. I had heard the story but didn't remember her name. It makes one wonder how many other undiscovered geniuses are out there, with their masterpieces in shoeboxes.

Unknown said...

I hadn't known of her, but the recent documentary about her brings her genius into the light.

Jeanie said...

I love her work. The doc is on Comcast On Demand these days. I've seen plenty of clips and short features but looking forward to settling in and watching that one! Nice channel -- how lucky you could see the exhibit in person!